- 1-2 pints of (n)ice cream
10 oz dark chocolate
3 Tbsp. coconut oil
What wouldn’t we do for a chocolate enrobed square of handheld (n)ice cream goodness?!
There’s something about unwrapping the foil on that frozen treat that makes it super special. We took that inspiration and made it nice, by using some Peanut Butter Monster with jam and some Choco Choco Chip to make our version of this childhood classic.
The best part is that it’s super simple and requires only three things. All you need is a couple pints of your nice cream of choice, dark chocolate chips, and coconut oil.
You soften your nice cream and create a 1-inch layer in a pan or mold. Place back in the freezer to set, about 6 hours or overnight. Once your nice cream layer is ready, you can start assembling the bars.
Cut this layer into 3-inch by 3-inch squares and keep in your freezer while you prepare the chocolate shell.
Now, we can get started on the chocolate! You can easily make this in a microwave, but we used a double boiler method. Simply put an inch of water into a pot and bring to a simmer. Using a heat proof bowl that sits over the pot, stir together the chocolate and coconut oil until thoroughly melted and combined.
Enrobe the nice cream squares in the chocolate shell. We just carefully placed a square into the bowl full of chocolate dip and used a fork to gently turn the square over to evenly coat with chocolate. Use two forks to lift the fully enrobed square out of the bowl and place on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
We wrapped ours with aluminum foil for that nostalgic feel, but that’s optional. Enjoy these little squares of heaven!
- Let (n)ice cream sit out on countertop until softened enough to scoop and mold easily, 10 minutes.
- In a 9-inch by 9-inch baking pan, or any square shaped pan, evenly spread (n)ice cream. Use enough (n)ice cream to create a 1-inch layer. To make multi-flavored layers, make sure to freeze each layer before adding the next flavor.
- Place pan back into freezer until solid, about 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove solid (n)ice cream from freezer and gently remove from container. Cut into 3-inch by 3-inch squares and store in freezer while you finish the chocolate glaze.
- The chocolate glaze can be made in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- Microwave: heat chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir to combine. If not melted place back into microwave for 10 more seconds. Repeat until thoroughly combined.
- Double boiler: put an inch of water into a pot and bring to a simmer. You will need a heat-proof bowl that will sit on top of the rim of the pot. Place chocolate and coconut oil into a bowl and place over pot. Stir until thoroughly until combined.
- Place (n)ice cream square into the warm glaze. Use a fork to turn over the square in the chocolate until fully covered. Use 1-2 forks to gently lift the covered square out of the chocolate and onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Work quickly to cover all the prepared (n)ice cream squares.
- Put the chocolate covered (n)ice cream squares back into the freezer until set.
- If you’d like, you can wrap in plain or decorative foil.
Recipe developed by Elaine Chang.